Friday 25 January 2008

2008 gigs so far

It's a new year and I appear to be incapable of remembering what gigs I saw last year, as I found out when trying to post a belated Top 5 on a website. So, to avoid this happening again, I'm going to write a small blog when I have been out and about. That way I won't forget! I'll adopt the good old marks out of 10 system I think.
I think I have only been to two gigs this year, but I could be wrong. That's why I need the blog.
First off was one of the Academy Unsigned gigs on 11th January. We went because our friend, Steve's band, The Allure, was playing. We caught the end of the first band, though not their name, who were more like Placebo than Placebo are nowadays. I'll admit that I was concerned when I was told I would be watching an indie band with no drummer, but The Allure were actually ok - which coming from someone who is not a fan of that sort of music is about as good as it will get. The singer has one of those voices that is a millimetre away from sounding off-key but doesn't and sounds better for it. Reminded me a little of Joy Division. Their guitarist was, of course, excellent and it's good to see bands who are enjoying being up on stage so much. I would say 6 out of 10 as it's not my bag but they were good.

Gig 2 as far as I recall was 22nd January - Dashboard Confessional. I must admit again that it wasn't my top-ranked must-see gigs of the year. I like Swiss Army Romance but was put off a little bit by the stadium rock that seemed to pour out when we saw Chris with full band at Leeds last year. Luckily he's back on his own and acoustic. He sounded good and played all the songs I like, well almost, but I was irked by the screaming girls and over-enthusiastic whooping. I think I am getting old or something but rather than adding to the atmosphere, it just made me feel cross! Still, it was a reasonable way to spend a Tuesday night and the support, Tournaments, were also surprisingly good in a sort of Wonderstuff kind of way. 7 out of 10.

I will probably write more enthusiastic reviews when I am less tired and after Feb 3rd when I will have seen 3 gigs that weekend that are making me very excited!

No comments: