Friday 29 February 2008

Chase HQ Allstars

Just realised I have another gig to blog before I forget. Last weekend was supposed to be gig-filled but due to extenuating circumstances, we only got to one. We always get lost in Warrington, to the point that all of it looks familiar as we've been past it at some point. Luckily I had the gps in my bag, so we made it to WA1 in the end. It smells of rubber gym mats, but don't let that put you off. The picnic tables aren't a good idea either as I really wanted some cheese sandwiches, a bag of crisps and a drink with a straw in it. Anyway, I digress. The purpose of our tour round Warrington was to see our friends' band, Chase HQ Allstars. We haven't seen them for a while and they have grown further - there is more brass, but I am ok with that, honest! Anyway, they are friends so I'm not inclined to tell them where to shove their trumpet mutes.
I think last time I explained that I'm not a fan of dub or ska so I won't go into that again. What I will say though is that I was really surprised at how much better they have got since the last time we saw them. Singer Dave seems a lot more confident on stage and his voice has more range. The songs are more varied and more complex too and any band who can randomly pull out the Countdown music have my respect. The last song they played (again, I am awful at setlists and song names) had shouting in it, which is always a good thing, and sounded really good. More shouting please, boys and girl!
The brass parts seem to fit in better now, probably a reflection that songs are starting to be written incorparating them, rather than adding brass parts later and I'm always impressed if someone can get straight off a train from London and start playing, like one of the bass players, Matty.
I might even have to change my mind about my ska-dub-phobia, but keep those Reel Big Fish albums out of my face or there will be trouble.
Oh yes - and I got a chip naan on the way home, which adds a point onto the total score: 7/10.

No comments: