Monday 30 June 2008

Trying to catch up! May's gigs part 1 - The Project: Chase HQ Allstars @ WA1

I'm really quite behind and this hasn't been helped by being out of the country for the last week. I've got 5 gigs to blog on so I'll make a start on it with The Project: Chase HQ Allstars at WA1 on 31st May whilst I'm still successfully fighting off the jetlag. Apologies if they're quite short but I'll learn and try to be more prompt, plus I've decided not to take notes at gigs as, for a start I look like a right geek and secondly, it's harder to enjoy yourself if you're fumbling around for pen and paper.
There's two things that are immediately obvious about Chase HQ Allstars tonight and that's that the regular gigs they're playing has made them a lot, lot better and more cohesive-sounding and that this sort of music does sound a lot better when it's warm and it's been sunny out. However, please note that if you're off to WA1 in the sun, don't wear shorts as they won't let you in!
CHQA's music is hard to properly define. I'd always stuck it in some dub-ska box without really thinking about it, but they've got samples, brass and guitars a-plenty and as they progress they're starting to get their own style more. Singer Dave's grown in confidence since we first started seeing the band (I've no idea how long ago that was - couple of years?) and holds the crowd's attention a lot more. Please excuse me not knowing the exact setlist or song names - again, I'll learn! The set leaned towards the more summery songs they play and we had a call to missing bassist Matt who was detained somewhere in the south and not able to get to the gig. I have threatened bad things to people who mix brass and guitars but the brass section is developing into a more integral part of the band rather than an add-on and it seems like the new songs written to include Sara and Jon show a more organic way of the band growing together.
In short, it's cheerful, happy music, perfect for a Saturday summer night and a band on the rise. Those picnic benches are really uncomfortable though and Scottish vodka is as bad as it sounds!
7.5/10

No comments: