Friday 4 July 2008

Pearl Jam - Madison Square Garden, New York City, 25th June 2008

Well, I wasn't going all that way to not see Pearl Jam for a second night if they're in the same city. There was a complete fiasco surrounding posters outside the venue earlier on but I put it behind me and the staff inside the venue seemed to have a modicum of respect and intelligence so rudeness and unhelpfulness is not indicative of everyone there.
Anyway. We got in and were sat slightly nearer the stage for night 2 and thankfully the two beered-up ones in front of us weren't there either, so things were looking up. Managed to miss the support band again as we were getting some food and having a little rest after a day out sightseeing in the very humid climate. I was wondering what it was going to be like, seeing that they had played a good set the night before. They came on to Release which, to be honest, justified the flight prices alone to me. Eddie's voice sounded spot on and the whole of the Garden was singing along - I very nearly started to have a little cry but I'm a grown up these days so I didn't. It did remind me how very special this band can be when they get it right. I did worry that they rest of the show wouldn't match up to this opening, but we weren't disappointed. We had another 2 3/4 hour set with some surprises in it. World Wide Suicide and Severed Hand upped the tempo and even though we'd had Corduroy the previous night, I will never tire of hearing it. The backing singers came out again for All Night which sounded good again but made it clear we were going to get at least those 3 songs again from the night before. I'm not complaining as lots of bands these days play similar sets each night so us Pearl Jam fans are spoiled rotten with such varied setlists, but the element of surprise was gone for a couple of songs. Cropduster was a nice addition to the set as I think it's one of the better songs on Riot Act. Much as I like all their albums, the early-era stuff still gets me the most excited these days, especially when they pull Garden out of the bag. It sounded amazing and haunting and I think the crowd were one of the loudest I've ever heard. It's almost a spiritual experience being part of that. It's a rare thing to feel so engaged with a band in such a large venue. They must be doing something right.
They attempted to start Marker in the Sand (which made my husband happy as it's one of his favourites) but Mike seemed to completely forget how to play it. A bit of a reminder off the rest of the band though and he was sorted out. Next was a song I've never heard them play - I'm Open off the No Code album. It's not the most spectacular song they did but it reminds me of listening to No Code on repeat just before we went to see them for the first time in '96. Wishlist is nice to hear too. State of Love and Trust will always be one of my favourite songs in the world and tonight they pulled off about the best performances of it I've seen them do. My voice was starting to go at this point from so much singing. Next was EvenFlow, which is a lot of people's cue to spend a penny if needs be. It's a great song but I've heard it a million times and you have time to get out and back before the end of the guitar solo. Top tip there.
We had Who You Are with the guest vocalists nest, which was pretty much the same as the night before. Next was another song I've not seen them do: Rats which built up with Given to Fly with a frenetic end to main set of Do The Evolution and Go.
First Encore started with Inside Job then WMA with the guest vocalists again. Eddie invited us to settle down for some campfire music before launching into the short, sharp shock that is Lukin. I'm still too slow to sing along with that one. CJ Ramone came out again for I Believe in Miracles (see right) and the band didn't look any less in awe than the night before. Eddie started to sing Betterman and managed to get the whole of Madison Square Garden singing the wrong verse and collectively realising it. He started again but let the crowd continue. I thought he looked visibly touched by the intensity of emotion coming back at him from the crowd. Beautiful. Rearviewmirror was next and sounded as intense as the first time I saw them play it.
Encore number 2 started the same as the previous night with Eddie and his solo spot. A nice touch was seeing the band relocate to the back of the stage, complete with Matt on a little set of drums, to play Last Kiss for the people sat behind the stage. Every seat in the place was taken, even those all the way round the back of the stage. Why Go sounded massive but I was already starting to feel sad that the show would soon be over. I thought that would be it for the surprises too, but they brought on no other than Ace Frehley to play Kiss' classic Black Diamond (see left). Eddie left the stage to leave Mike to start on the vocals and Matt to take over. I have to say I was really impressed with Matt's vocals. Eddie came back on for Alive and then we had Yellow Ledbetter which usually indicates the end of the show is nigh. I think that's why it always has a strange melancholic air to me. Mike finished off with a searing rendition of the Star Spangled Banner during which Eddie and Boom seemed to go for a sit down behind the drums before gazing in awe at Mr McCready.
And that was it. No more Pearl Jam till the next tour. It was really worth it though!
9.5/10

No comments: